Thursday, March 25, 2010

America's Top Hood Model...




"Surprise occurs when routine fails." A couple years ago I entered a national modeling search contest for a perennial fashion website called Dr. Jays.com (http://www.drjays.com/). Thousands of applicants from all over the country posted video submissions professing why they should be chosen for their "Fresh Face Of Spring Campaign." After reviewing a handful of applicants I realized that most of them, in fact nearly all of them carried the same common theme and appeal. A low fancy instrumental would gently play in the background while a gallery of assorted portraits danced across the screen. It became very bland and extremely routine. I knew that If I could somehow create an out-of-the-box idea, then I would be a sure win! I had to develop up a full-proof plan that was exciting and almost in a sense, "unexpected." That is a dying concept that people take for granted when lobbying for any form of recognition. In order for a good idea to survive and stick with our peers it must be simple, concrete, emotional, credible, and most importantly unexpected. The element of surprise is the key ingredient in engaging someone to focus on your pursuit and sustain their attention. I truly wish I could find the video proposal I submitted for the contest, but it is unfortunately lost in an infinte sea of endless documents and files. Nevertheless, you can see I did pretty good.



No comments:

Post a Comment